Out of This World - Autumn 1
Over the course of this half-term, our overarching theme will be the theme entitled “Out of this world!” We will be learning about the following:
* The solar system
Our literacy sequence will focus on:
· Writing non-chronological texts;
· Writing to recount;
· Narrative writing and comprehension
· Writing to persuade
This half term we will be concentrating
on the following aspects of maths:
· Place value—ordering; using negative numbers; rounding and solving problems
· Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
· Mixed problem solving—multi-step problems using all operations
In science, we are focusing on:
· Knowing the order and location of planets within the solar system;
· Understanding why we see the moon in different ways over the course of the lunar cycle;
· Planning and conducting experiments which are accurate and fair.
In art, we will be looking at:
· Using different media to create specific effects
· Designing objects which are fit for purpose
The area we will focus on during this topic will be:
· The Space Race
· Key figures in the understanding of our solar system and the cosmos
INFORMATION, COMMUNICATIONS, TECHNOLOGY
Using a music sequencing software to create music inspired by space
Writing lyrics and constructing a cohesive song
Star lab planetarium
· Creating a set of exercises to maximise performance.
PE kit or Forest School clothing is required every FRIDAY.
If you have any queries or problems please do not hesitate to
come and see me.
Home Learning Activities- Autumn 1
Make up a story set on a space station in the future. 5 Dojo-points
Design a set of rules/ laws for the new community on Mars
Make a model of a space ship
To be a space engineer you have to be good at maths and physics so learn all your tables to 10 x 10 (rapid recall)
Make up a piece of music or a song that is inspired by Space. Record it or perform it to us.
Write a poem about either our planet or an alien one. 3 Dojo-points
the ultimate spacesuit, don’t forget to annotate all the design features
Explain how shadows are formed
Read a science fiction or a fact book about space and write a book review
Write a report on anything that interests you about space.
Draw or paint a picture of an animal that lives on new planet
Make a model of a space station